Inspirations Behind the Craft:
– Your handcrafted jewelry is stunning. Could you share the inspirations behind your designs and what makes them unique in the market?
We are a small batch jewelry company from Denver, Colorado, all women-owned and run. I am inspired by the people I meet and the stories that they share. Elements of nature and life around me are woven into each idea, the product comes to life with color and intention.
– Walk us through your creative process. How do you transform an idea into a tangible, beautiful piece of jewelry?
There is always a sketchbook and pencil close by. I am drawn to many mediums and enjoy the process of making them come alive. People, a good sunset, and nature inspire me the most. I am surrounded by the mountains where I live, which always makes me feel grounded in my ideas. My designs are sometimes propelled by the strength of ordinarywomen who go through big transitions in life and the feelings associated with them. I connect with people and understand their needs through designing custom pieces with gemstones and metals.
Materials and Techniques:
– The materials used in your jewelry seem distinctive. Can you tell us more about the choice of materials and the techniques you employ to craft these exquisite pieces?
I hand-select each gemstone for its beauty, quality, and associated property. The energies and colors tell a story in every stone, and they help my clients decide what they represent to the world. I use Sterling Silver, 14K Gold Fill, and pure silver in each piece to ensure it lasts the test of time.
– What role does craftsmanship play in your brand? How do you ensure each piece reflects the artisanal touch and attention to detail that sets your jewelry apart?
After creating each piece, it goes through the “blind” test. I close my eyes to see if any spots need to be addressed and if love is infused with good intentions into each stone. Quality control is very important to me, as my jewelry is meant to last a lifetime. We are a small-batch jewelry company for a reason. We love the idea that every woman is an individual, and we honor their own unique identity through each piece created. No two women are alike, so why should your jewelry be?
Sustainability in Craftsmanship:
– With a growing focus on sustainability, how does your brand incorporate eco-friendly practices into crafting your jewelry?
We ethically source each gemstone and hand-select each leather hide for its quality. We believe that we are imperfectly perfect, which lends to each piece’s uniqueness. We look for bold shades and imperfections in the leather on purpose. Everyone gets a creation that is unique to them.
– The designs seem to carry cultural influences. Could you share how different cultures inspire your creations and if there are specific cultural stories behind certain pieces?
Both my parents were immigrants when they moved to Canada as children. I was raised to appreciate handmade things in my house. From the food my mother made to the clothes she sewed for my sister and me. She instilled in me that handmade meant love from the heart and that imperfections can drive individuality. She taught me to love myself just as I am, stand out in a crowd, and be proud of who I am.
– Among your collections, do you have a favorite piece or a collection that holds a special place in your heart? What’s the story behind it?
My favorite collection is the spirited collection. I love color, the power of gemstones, and how it can make you feel. Colors in gemstones reflect different emotions and empower you to be the best version of yourself when you believe. Each gemstone is carefully curated to help you feel amazing when you wear it. One of my favorite pieces is the single kyanite necklace. It reminds me to center myself in meditation, blocks out negative energy, balances my yin and yang energies, and makes me feel amazing. The color blue is for
stability and calmness. It will help still your mind in a hectic world. The single pearl Madeline earring is the other piece that holds a special place in my heart. It represents the idea that you are very special in your own right, full of wisdom and strength. Trust your gut in every decision, especially when wearing them.
Customization and Personalization:
– Your brand offers customization options. How do you work with clients to create personalized pieces, and what memorable experiences have resulted from these collaborations?
Customization and personalization are my favorite things to do at Liv & B. I love getting to know my clients’ personalities and what feelings they want to accomplish in the pieces we design together. I keep the client involved throughout the design process, sharing sketches or design concepts to ensure that the final piece reflects their vision. We want you to
connect with your piece and have deep meaning and empowerment when you wear it.
Challenges and Rewards:
– What challenges do you face in crafting handmade jewelry, and what are the most rewarding aspects of your work?
Getting inspired in the creative process can sometimes be a challenge. It forces me to get out of my head and into my car. Drive to a beautiful natural spot and allow myself to be transported into another mindset. It allows me to look around, ground myself on the trail, and work through an idea. It reminds me how small we are in the grand scheme of things and how we are only one cog in the wheel of humanity.
Future of Handcrafted Jewelry:
– How do you envision the future of handcrafted jewelry in the ever-evolving fashion industry, and what trends do you anticipate for artisanal creations?
We like to keep it simple, meaningful, and intentional. Even though we keep up with the color trends each year, we believe that quality is important, and so is my client’s vision. We are all about custom and not following the crowd. Be secure in yourself, stand out, and honor your journey.